Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 10:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Writers!

Articles
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trav's Lounge  (Read 247 times)
Trav "Chuck" McGee
Argon

I can drink with you.

« on: December 02, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »

One of the things that has definitely gotten better in the past few years is the availability of surprisingly free, good music.  Of course, as a friend of several practicing musicians, I know that word "free" is a bit of a downer.  I guess many of us are guilty of succumbing to the feelings of the younger these days, which is "why the hell should I pay for music when it's free everywhere?"  

Prime example: my 15 (almost 16) year old daughter.  She wanted to burn Taylor Swift's new album for listening in her car.  When she found out she couldn't just hijack the audio off Spotify for free, she said to me, "Jesus! Taylor Swift is such a BRAT!  She took all her music down from Spotify!"  I explained that maybe Swift sort of expected to get paid for the work she had put into the album and that it wasn't unreasonable for her to expect hardcore fans to actually buy the album.  She resentfully said, "Yeah, I know.  But I just wanted to download it today for this soccer trip and I don't have the money to buy it.  This is just stupid."   So ... straight from anger at not getting an artist's work for free, to reluctant understanding, then right back to anger.  

Of course, she ultimately found another way to grab the album from the internet without paying, so Taylor Swift has one less Starbucks cup of coffee thanks to my progeny.  Oh well.

But I digress.  The point of this post started out to be that I think we're likely all a little guilty of it.  I know I am.  I find some really great music in mixes done on YouTube and am particularly fond of the ambient, lounge and chill genres that can be found.  Why would I download the five or six songs that someone has taken the time to deejay together when I can just grab the audio from YouTube? Sometimes two hours or more of continuous good music can be found in these mixes.

So bottom line number 1:  I'm as bad as my daughter.  Maybe worse as I suspect I pirate music even more than she does.
Bottom line number 2: I'm going to share some of the great mixes I've found.  Let your own conscience guide you on whether you listen/grab/keep them.

First up - "Airport Lounge" - 47 minutes of good background music for drinking, contemplating, reading, sexy time, whatever you like the quieter music for.

Airport Lounge by DJDimsa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aTLjC1CN2s
or
http://www.mixcloud.com/DJDimsa/airport-lounge-lounge-mix-2014/

More to come.  Feel free to share your own.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:26:14 AM by Trav "Chuck" McGee » Logged

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

"Paying attention is an art few people ever... Oh! Hey! Shiny pennies!" - Trav
EThip
Magnesium

aka Ned Bigboote

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »

I think this came up on the FB group.  SOMA Secret Agent Radio has some pretty cool stuff.  It's also available on iTunes internet radio under eclectic.  It's pretty diverse and I found some great stuff that I never would have heard.

Bi Monthly team con-call...
Kurt
Administrator
Prokaryote

Increase the dosage.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »

Great stuff, Trav, thanks for these links!  I've made money from making music and also made no money from it.  I've been on both sides of the fence many times.  One thing that occurs to me is that since the dawn of time, people who wanted to make things have just made them.  Any legitimate business has a legal right to have their wares stolen, but music is a special case.  Once you make it, everything in the natural world says it isn't yours anymore- we're talking about vibrations here, moving air.  

For a lont time, the clunky substrates we encoded it on were the encryption device, but now it's all 1s and 0s, and every device we use is designed to make those more vaporous than vapor, so music is finally not a "thing" anymore, it's just sound, and it's everywhere.  

I think enough artists go overboard with this attitude that they DESERVE to be paid for music they make, but I'm not sure I agree.  If you can create something worth buying, and there's a better reason to buy it than to just take it where ever you find it, great, you've discovered the key to added value and you win.  Otherwise, the times they are a changin.  

EDIT:  this is exactly the kind of post that, if I put it on facebook, I'd wind up feeling kind of like a pushy, opinionated ass.  Here, I can be that and not have to feel like it.  bliss.

Leave the toxicity to the fucking experts!
Kurt
Administrator
Prokaryote

Increase the dosage.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »

Try this stream, too:
Luxuria Music
Listening now... sounds promising.

I'm Gonna Go Fishin' - Johnny Hawksworth

KenTeb
Hydrogen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »

Any fresh streams with this theme? All I'm getting is the older stuff.
Kurt
Administrator
Prokaryote

Increase the dosage.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »

Oh well you need to get the Dial-n-Drink Instant Happy Hour Hotline app beta, man!  That's the only thing worth having, in the world.  Possibly the universe.  The rest has all turned to shit.  Have an iOS device running sys 9.3 or newer?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: